Intro

Specializing in short, honest movie reviews.

January 31, 2014

Inconceivable!

The Riverside has been showing a weekly "classic" film, which is how I can justify reviewing a movie that came out in 1987. I have seen The Princess Bride approximately one bazillion times, and it continues to be awesome. However, I always forget how utterly irritating and useless Buttercup is until I have to watch her standing around twiddling her thumbs while Westley faces near-constant death trying to save her dumb ass.

It was fun seeing this movie in a theater full of other people who have also seen it one bazillion times. Nobody was too bad about reciting the lines along with the characters, but people did start giggling before all the punch lines. And, at the very end, when Grandpa says "As you wish" to the kid, the old woman in front of me let out a really loud but obviously sincere "Aww!" and everybody laughed (but in a nice way).

I somehow managed to be dating the only person on earth who had not seen this movie, so I made him go with me even though he didn't really want to. "We're going to see an old movie? In a theater? And paying full price? Why?" But by the end of the movie, he was totally into it, and when it was over, he turned to me and said, "That was a good movie!" Yep. It's a good movie.

No comments: