Intro

Specializing in short, honest movie reviews.

April 11, 2009

The Day the Earth Stood Still (DVD review)

So, I was kind of exited about this movie, being that I am and was reared by a giant nerd (hi dad!)

It had some pretty awesome special effects, and for once Keanu Reeves mannequin-like performance worked for his character (he was actually, dare I say it, CREEPY). I did like that there was a bit of a "biological" twist--though I would rather have seen Gort stomping about destroying everything, and zapping people with his laser. I also appreciated that there was actually a part where the earth did, in fact, stand still!

However, THEY NEVER SAID THE FAMOUS LINE!* "Klaatu barada nikto!" One of the most famous nerd lines ever! (behind "May the Force be with you," of course). DUDES.

When the credits began rolling, my brother, father and I just sat there and looked at each other in stoic silence. My nerd spirit has been broken.


*There is a part, when Klaatu first comes off the ship and Gort comes to his rescue, where he MIGHT say "barada nikto!" but its not very intelligible and therefore, doesn't count.

No comments: