Intro

Specializing in short, honest movie reviews.

December 8, 2011

Contagion!

You thought I forgot to finish reviewing all the movies I've seen since August, but I have not! In our last episode, I was sharing my hazy memories of Our Idiot Brother. Today, I will expound on what little I remember of Contagion! I actually remember quite a bit.

So you know how in most disaster movies, shitty filmmakers create one tiny ragtag bunch of survivors and only focus on those guys? While you sit in the audience yelling I WANT TO SEE THE GLOBAL IMPLICATIONS OF THIS EVENT AND HONESTLY COULD NOT CARE LESS ABOUT THIS REDEMPTIVE SCHLUB, SEXY SCIENTIST LADY, ONE TO TWO INNOCENT ADORABLE CHILDREN, AND EITHER A BLACK OR NERD WHO WILL DIE FIRST? Well, for once a movie doesn't do that, thanks to good old Steven Soderbergh. There are a handful of main characters, yes, but the movie jumps back and forth between them and shows a lot of nameless people dying of the ick as well.

Couple of things: casting Dmitri Martin as an epidemiologist was a bad call--very distracting--and Laurence Fishburne is a terrible, terrible actor. He's Morpheus in everything*, including this movie, which means he talks really slowly and is an idiot. Aside from those things, though, I recommend Contagion!



*The lone exception, of course, is his seminal role as Cowboy Curtis on Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

No comments: