Intro

Specializing in short, honest movie reviews.

July 4, 2013

Much Ado About Nothing

I'll come right out and admit that I'm totally a Joss Whedon fangirl.  Despite this, however, I was a little wary about this film.  I don't often care for Shakespeare mashed into modern times.

Somehow, though, this film worked for me.  It's not my most favorite thing ever, but I did love several things about it.  That fact it's in black and white really helps, I think, give it a sort of old timey feel despite the fact the actors are in modern dress.  There are several great/random shots (i.e. the poster of the gentleman in the scuba mask with the martini glass) that make it kind of artsy and fun.

I loved Alexis Denisof and Amy Acker as Benedick and Beatrice, though this might be due to residual Fred/Wesley feels (Angel reference! Nerd alert!), but my favorite performances are those of Nathan Fillion and Tom Lenk, who play the ridiculous leaders of the night watch/police.  HILARIOUS.

So, if you like Shakespeare and you like Joss Whedon, you'll probably like this film.  I went with two people who knew nothing about Joss Whedon, but like Shakespeare, and they both really enjoyed it.  If you don't like Joss/Shakespeare, you should probably skip this one.

No comments: