Intro

Specializing in short, honest movie reviews.

October 24, 2008

CC: The Duchess

Good and Plenty:
~Very well acted. I appreciated that I actually saw Keira's character as very different from her other period piece characters. Ralph Fiennes was awesome, as always--I felt an interesting mixture of detest and sympathy for his character.
~Costumes are awesome, as expected.
~The music was purdy! Which is more than I can say for a lot of movies (I'm looking at you, Appaloosa).
~WAY BETTER than Marie Antoinette, which takes place in a similar time period. Possibly because I like Keira Knightley better than Kirsten Dunst. And also because whatsherface wasn't directing this one and adding weird ass music and shit. Still no beheadings, though...
~The guy that played Keira's love interest (Dominic Cooper--thanks IMDB!) was strangely cute. Also, his character is totally the namesake for Earl Grey tea (thanks, Wikipedia!). So that's awesome. OH! and Keira and Ralph were Devonshire! Coincidence? (I am now craving cream tea--thanks, movie.)

Sour Patch Kids:
~This movie was kinda sad, but I have to admit that due to certain hormonal factors I was probably more emotional about it than I would have been otherwise. Do not see this if you want to be in a joyful mood afterward.

Overall, I liked it ;) It wasn't slow and plodding like some historical dramas tend to be.

No comments: