Intro

Specializing in short, honest movie reviews.

September 7, 2009

Julie and Julia

OK, I loved Julie Powell's blog and book, and who doesn't love Julia Child? She's the Willie Nelson of cooking (no one doesn't like Willie Nelson, see). So I was simultaneously excited and trepidatious about Julie and Julia. Isn't that interesting? This review is off to a great start.

The Julia Child parts are pretty great, but the Julie Powell bits leave much to be desired. Amy Adams is way too cutesy-poo an actress to play this part. In her writing, Powell comes across as a sarcastic, funny person who enjoys cooking and sometimes has cooking setbacks. While her bloggery did end up to be life-changing, she only admits it in a slightly sheepish way, as is right and proper. In the movie, Julie is a harebrained twink who minces and cries and flails around like a god damned fool, while making melodramatic pronouncements about how life-changing her blog is.

It also really bugged me how her husband eats everything all aggressive Cookie Monster-style, open-mouthed with lots of horrible noises and food flying everywhere. We get it. You like her cooking. Go back to acting class.

The good thing about this movie is it made me want to go re-read My Life in France, so I guess I recommend it.

No comments: