Intro

Specializing in short, honest movie reviews.

June 3, 2008

Random movie rant.

I have some movie related addictions, namely IMDB and movies.yahoo.com, where I watch or check out all the latest trailers or movie news. Today I stumbled upon a link to the new Mummy movie (or The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, if you will), which had a shiny new link to the trailer (which looks pretty good), but also told me something I already knew, and that annoyed me (and continues to annoy me, obviously), which was that Rachel Weisz is not returning as Evelyn in this (and subsequent) movies, but the role will instead be played by Maria Bello.

There are many many things wrong with this, in my humble opinion. First, it ALWAYS annoys me when the original actors don't return to play their characters, unless its something like they've aged (i.e. Alex O'Connell, Evy and Rick's son, is played by a different (and older) actor in the new movie, obviously), or the new person rocks the house (which almost never happens). Plus, it annoys me when they don't come back for the reason(s) Rachel isn't coming back which are "artistic differences" and/or "disagreements with the script." Thanks, Rachel. Now the character bunches of us have been attached to since the original movie is being played by a twat (more on that in a second), all because you want to be artsy fartsy.

Secondly, Maria Bello is AMERICAN, which means she'll be faking (probably poorly) an English accent, which never goes well. I didn't really give a crud about Maria in general, having not really seen her in any movies except Coyote Ugly (hee), until my discovery upon reading imdb and wikipedia regarding the movie today, and Maria's portrayal of Evelyn in particular:

"Maria Bello signed a contract to do the next 3 Mummy movies. It has also been stated by Maria Bello that her version of Evelyn is different than Rachel Weisz's incarnation."

Wait...what? Its the same character! What does that even mean? Ugh. So my hopes for the new Mummy movie (due out in August, according to IMDB) have fallen. I don't know if Brendan Fraser and Jet Li can save it (though, I might see it anyway, cause the new kid who plays Alex, Luke Ford, is kinda pretty--though also not English, but Australian. /sigh).

2 comments:

Lady Blogpants said...

They're still making Mummy movies? Do they still have that hot tattooed guy from the first one? Who will be playing the role of Brendan Fraser's hair?

If you want to see a good Maria Bello movie, check out A History of Violence. It's fantastic, and has Viggo!

VIGGOOOOOOOO!

Cinemarella said...

Since this one doesn't take place in Egypt, I don't think the hot guy will be in it :( [his name is Oded Fehr, btw...thanks again, imdb!)

I think Brendan Fraser's hair is played by the same hair.

I've heard a lot of good things about that movie...I should add it to my queue.