Intro

Specializing in short, honest movie reviews.

March 29, 2009

Nicolas Cage Sees the Future

I am a huge Nicolas Cage fan. I liked him when he was just a semi-weird comic actor in Moonstruck and Raising Arizona, and I liked him even more once something inside him snapped and he started being a totally awesome "dramatic" action dude/monster man (The Rock, Con Air). I love that he has only five emotions: drunk, yelling, solving clues, sweating, and freaking the fuck out. Whenever I see a Nicolas Cage movie I don't really hear the dialogue because in my mind he's just saying "Nicolas Cage Nicolas Cage NICOLAS CAAAAAAAGE!" (I'm pretty sure that's what he's saying in his mind too).

That being said, of course I enjoyed Knowing, but I kind of wish Monsieur Cage had kicked it up a notch. He's as yelly/sweaty as ever, but given that he's reacting to things like The End of the World, his acting choices are incongruously appropriate.

Two annoying things about this movie:

1. It's pretty much a 2-hour commercial for Ford trucks. And Priuses, strangely, although those are mostly just there for Nicolas Cage to crush with his F-150. Need to steal a closet door from a school and bring it home so you can peel the paint off it and read the apocalyptic messages a psychic schoolgirl scritched upon it 50 years ago? Put it in the back of your truck and take it home! Built Ford tough! Like a rock!

2. Its take-home message that people who believe in God and fate are right and MIT professors who believe in evolution and chance are wrong, even though the believers turn out to be totally off-base since it just so happens that God is actually ALIENS. Spoiler alert.

1 comment:

Bird said...

I am not sure if I love or hate that fact that your spoiler alerts come after the spoiler themselves. I agree though, I have an unhealthy love of Nick Cage movies...I blame the coen brothers.